The article mentions a few with examples. And don't all of you grit your teeth at the same time.
Here are the errors:
- Morning-routine cliché - "rudely awakened", "bleary-eyed" reminds you of anything?
- Answering-the-phone cliché - no need to expand here
- The clutter of detail - oh boy. I believe I once explained the whole process of coffee making in three pages...
- Skip the recitals of ordinary life
- Don't spell it out - explaining too much and more than once
- Pass on the preachiness - but why? Preaching is fun!
- Setting the scene - be visual without too much description - how's that possible? Go find out.
- Coincidences - avoid too many of them.
Categories: writing, process, plot