Darren over at ProBlogger asked his readers to write a post about their blogging habits. In fact, his goal is to compile a list of habits of highly effective bloggers.
Well, at first I thought I'll participate since this relates to my blog's subject matter, in the same manner as habits of highly effective writers would. Then I thought that I shouldn't participate since I hardly qualify as an effective blogger, at least not under the ProBlogger category - I hardly make any money from my blog and my traffic is abysmal compared to the pros.
However, I do enjoy my blog, I enjoy writing it, the readers who come and comment, those who come and don't comment, I enjoy other writers' blogs and so on. On that note I'd say that I consider this blog to be a positive thing in my life.
A compromise then - I should write a post to see what my habits are (I didn't even know I had any until today) and then see which ones are conducive to effective blogging (maybe I can keep those) and which ones aren't. It could, if anything, teach me a thing or two about myself.
So here's the list of habits and at the end I'll list them under good and bad:
1. Consistency - I tend to post at least once a day and I tend to stay on topic.
2. Shy - I'm shy about divulging even basic private information, shy about writing in an authoritative, confident, 'know-it-all' tone and shy about tooting my own horns.
3. Lazy/lack of backbone - I will allow myself not to post if I really don't feel like it. I will also not follow through with a plan to make my blog more visible if I'm too shy about it or if it's too much work.
4. Drafts - I write and save drafts of posts for later use. I write ideas as they come, save interesting links and articles and remember to save issues if I come across them during my work day.
5. Aesthetics and artistic tendencies - I have no artistic tendencies and my aesthetic taste is questionable. Meaning? Meaning I hardly have any pictures and my graphics, well, what graphics?
6. Written language - what do you think? (Remember that I said I'm shy? I do think I write well - phew, I did it!)
7. Fresh ideas - not often, but when the occasional one comes along, it can be a very good one.
8. Vision - half the time I'm not even sure what I'm going to do next, let alone figure out what my blog should do next.
9. Absence - I travel often and for long periods of time during which I post very little.
10. Diverse interest - I regularly read newspapers and blogs on a variety of subjects and often it is in these places that I find the most interesting post ideas.
It turns out that I listed not only habits but some traits as well. Habits might be easy to change, but character traits will be much harder.
My Good habits: Consistency, drafts, written language, ideas, interests.
My Bad habits: Shy, lazy, poor aesthetics and artistic tendencies, shoddy vision, absence.Read the rest
Categories: writing, blogging