Monday, April 24, 2006

Bloggy Stuff - New Feature, Links, Comments

I started this blog certain that I knew exactly what I wanted this blog to be like and about - more of a resource page. And as many good things in life, I was (very) pleasantly surprised to find that it was actually a lot more fun (and informative) to discuss writing with like-minded individuals than to dish out information.

However, as many of you (I'm sure) do, I too look occasionally at my stats and the phrases search engines send traffic over here. It got me thinking that it would be a good idea if I actually posted about the things people come here for.

So I think that what I'm in effect saying is that I'm announcing a new feature, let's call it Keyword Post, where I'll be choosing a popular keyword/phrase and post about it. And I think that what I'm also saying is that I'll do my best to keep with the tone of the rest of the blog but that these posts tend to become "lectury" and that I'm sorry in advance if they do and that I'll do my best that they don't.

That was the first thing I wanted to say about ze blog. The second was about links. Any of you who changed site address lately and suspect I haven't updated it, please let me know, that is unless you're okay with waiting for about a month which is when I promise to check all the links and overhaul the site (for now I get to your blogs through feeds where the links are updated).

Third, about comments. Occasionally, I get comments in old posts. Some of the comments I can actually put two and two together and figure out the post, but others, I have no clue and I don't mean to but I cannot respond. So until I put a hack to alert me as to the post or switch to Haloscan or something like that, please tell me the post you're commenting on (if it's an old one (not on the front page) and if you want a reply).

I'm sure there was more, but that's good for now. Hope I didn't bore you to...

Categories:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should switch to haloscan. It's worth it and definitely better than Blogger's 'Word verification' crap.

Jean said...

Cool idea on the search phrase.

Anonymous said...

How about sharing a few of those stranger search strings that Google throws your way. I've always been slightly amazed by some of the things people have typed in to reach my blog.

"pick a drag queen name"

"tasmania crazy coffins"

"david and goliath socks"

Now, if I were to post on some of these weird subjects, it would certainly liven things up. Good suggestion!

Anonymous said...

I have seen some of the funny keywork searches that cause readers to reach some of my friends blogs. It makes me wonder what people are up to on the internet!

It should be interesting to see what you end up posting about.

Melly said...

Thanks Anon, I'm seriously considering it.

Thanks Jean. I hope it will turn out fun and not boring (for both reader and writer - that is, me :)

Darren, these are hilarious. Alas, I get nothing remotely close to that. Most of my phrases do actually relate to writing... (did I mention I was boring? ;)

Fred, people are to no good on the internet. Absolutely! And don't we all know it...
The weirdest, the quirckiest, the stragest.
Thanks, I hope it will indeed be interesting.

Georganna Hancock M.S. said...

About knowing which post comments belong to: if you receive them by email, Blogger tells you which post in the link to your blog at the bottom of the comment. You can either click on it, and the archived page should open in your browser, or just hold your mouse over the link and the URL should appear at the bottom of the mail window. This assumes you're receiving them in HTML format. I don't know what they look like in text mode.

Melly said...

Georganna, don't I feel like a complete idiot. I always saw the link but since it just said the name of my blog, I assumed it was for the home page and I never clicked on it. I don't know what to say...
Thanks :)