Thursday, July 21, 2005

Frustrated

When I've started this blog, I honestly wanted to help new writers. I remembered how at first I had no clue about anything. All I knew was that I had been writing and that maybe I could actually do something with it. I had no idea what manuscript, query, submission, etc. were. I had to break the barrier of finding how to send a manuscript and who to send it to. And that was how I wanted to help new writers.

With me, I had beginners luck, but I think it was more of a curse. After only three submissions, I sold my first short story and for quite a bit of money too. I was so happy; the sky was the limit.

But guess what, it took me another two years before I sold another piece. I was beside myself until my second sale came through. Today, it is still a struggle and the rejection letters keep piling up at a rate of 1:20 (or more ) acceptance letter to rejection notes.

Now that I've been working on my second novel (never even bothered with sending out the first), I'm almost certain I'll never be able to publish it. I know, I know. This kind of defeatist attitude doesn't help, but I almost feel it to be a realistic rather than a defeatist attitude. Of course, it doesn't help to read posts like this one about The Secret Lives of Editors.

So now I'm thinking - is there even any point in helping new writers? The hardship, the heartache, the struggle - is it worth it? Maybe it would have been better not to get into it in the first place, just to keep writing for the drawer.

But of course it's not all bleak, and maybe in another post I will write about the brighter sides of the writing business. For now, though, I have to get back to my novel :)

Categories: , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hang on there and u'll be fine.

Melly said...

Thanks so much.

Words of encouragement and nice people are everything in this business.

:)

Anonymous said...

I have met some people who believe writers shouldn't need help, and that if they can be discouraged, they should be.

Personally I think it's better too help, we all need it at some point, and it's nice to give it too.

Melly said...

Ouch Lee... That's quite a harsh stance, but with some truth in it I guess. And yet, like you, I believe in encouragement and thank you for it. Most appreaciated.